Content is the heart and soul of your website. A website without content is like an empty vessel, regardless of how aesthetic the design or visual is. However, if your website or campaign fails to deliver quality content, it’ll give off a negative impression to your audience. So you see how vital content is for you and your business. In this article, we’ll elaborately describe how to write various types of quality content. Before we begin, let’s see how many types of contents we are dealing with.
Types of Content
2. List Post
3. How to
4. Case Study
Before we dive in, there are some basic techniques we need to consider before writing content. These are called the pre-writing stage techniques. If we follow these techniques, our content will look better and it’ll be easier for the writer to explain the content properly. Afterward, we’ll begin with our first type of content.
The Writing Process
- Generating Idea
- Making an Outline
- Researching & Brainstorming
- Drafting the content
- Revising & proofreading
How to Write “Review Content”
For every type of content, we’ll follow some specific steps. The contents will proceed step by step. Since review type contents are generally associated with products or services offered by any company, we’ll be following the below steps.
- Introduce the product/service itself: Start with an introductory description of what the product is, how it is used, etc. Since the product review is done by the user itself, try to use personal examples even if you haven’t used the product/service.
- Introduce the product owner/manufacturer: In this part try to include where did you buy the product from. If you buy it from an e-commerce site, give information about which site you bought it from.
- Product description: Include the features of the product. Try to include the features that you were attracted to and which led you to buy the product. Highlight the main features, avoid the minor details. This part should include the positive part of the product/services. Don’t forget to write about the specifications, like the product size, weight, model number, etc.
- Pros & cons: This part should include the benefits that you got from the product/service and the drawbacks it has. Make it sound like you used the product and you either found it very useful or you didn’t find it very useful.
- Suggestions/recommendations: This part will be completely your opinion. For example, if it is a protein shake for bodybuilders. Then recommend something like, “only use it if you’re above 60kg” or something like that. You will shed light on what you think about the product.
- Call to Action: Whether you’re doing affiliate marketing, lead generation or blogging, include links from where you bought it. This will help your audience to find the product that you have used it yourself.
- Conclusion: This will be your final verdict, whether you want your audience to buy the product or avoid it. Include the reasons in a summary and present it in the conclusion.
Here are some examples are taken from Amazon itself. It’ll give you a better view of what it is. We have taken health and households into account –
How to write “List Content”
This is a much simpler type of content among the types of content you can write. You’ll be making a list like “top 10 nursing gifts” or “top 10 places to visit during vacation”. Every step will be repeated for every list in the category. For example, if you choose the top 10 nursing gift content to write, you’ll be presenting the same structure of information for every gift on the list. This content will be sort of like a compilation of same category items. The steps will be like this –
- Introduction: First let the readers know what type of list you will be covering. Ask questions to the readers in the introductory passage as to why they should view the list. This will brim curiosity among the readers and they will go through the list.
- Introduce the first item: Introduce the item to your audience, what it is, how it looks like, what it does, etc.
- Short description: Give information about the item, like why their feature, its specification, how is it useful, etc. Highlight the main features of the item.
- Liking/disliking: In this part, you’ll be discussing on what you feel about the item. It is worth the money? Does it add value to your daily life? You will have to share your experience with the product (if you have experienced it) or reference to the other users who have used the item if did not experience it. Don’t forget to add the links of the suggestions/references or customer FAQs from reliable sites.
- Introduce the second item: After you’re done with the first one, introduce the second time and follow what you wrote in the first one. Don’t change your structure just to highlight this item more than the others. Follow similar structure of what information you’re adding.
- Repeat: Do the same process for every upcoming third. Fourth, fifth product and so on. Whichever niche you’re working on, you can add an unlimited number of contents in the list (if your readers are willing to read all of it!) You can write this type of contents very easily and people love to read this category of contents.
Here we have taken top 10 nursing gifts into account –
How to write “How to” Contents
This form of content is a bit tricky to write if you have not used or experience the product/service yourself. In that case, you have to completely understand the product or service before you start writing. If we were to give an example, if you want to write about “How to write a research paper”, and haven’t written any research paper before then it’ll be quite complicated but not impossible.
Well, yes there are always contents on the internet that you can re-write. However, if you don’t understand it completely, then you will most likely copy the entire content and face plagiarism.
If you are working on a niche for quite some time and you feel like you have earned some expertise in this field, then you can easily write a “How to” content. Follow these steps to write a decent “How to” content.
- Introduce the problem: Generally, in a “How to” content, we have a problem someone is dealing with and they need a solution for it. So in the first part introduce the issue or the problem. The problem should be highlighted in a way that is worrying the user. Use personal experience if possible.
- Disclose the possible solution: In short words, before heading towards the steps, discuss the possible solution. This should be in short because the steps will elaborate on the solution on how to fix the problem.
- Steps/guidelines/tips: This is the most important part of the whole content. You have to write step by step to solve the problem. The latter step should be connected to the previous step. It should be like a story proceeding from the beginning to the conclusion. You can use numbers to point out the steps like step 1, step 2, etc. Whatever you write, be it guidelines/tips or actual steps itself, it should follow the “steps” format.
- Conclusion: This is where you write a summary of the entire content and give your final verdict. The conclusion should acknowledge the effectiveness of the steps.
We took “How to write content” as an example for a “How to” content.
How to write “Case Study”
We will first note the highlight points before going to the explanation.
- Introduction of your full journey
- Problems/challenges you have faced
- How to overcome those challenges/problems
- The final result
- Resources (data/sheets/examples)
- Call to action
These are the total steps to write a complete case study. Case studies basically cover an entire journey of a particular achievement or accomplishment. For example, you can write a case study on how you triumphed in the fisheries business or how you gained recognition in the marketing industry.
The case study will cover every aspect of your journey, like challenges, obstacles, how you overcame those, turning points, etc. In the end, you will mention the ultimate outcome, what the final result is and how the journey has benefitted you. In terms of case study, data is extremely important. Disclose all the data and information you can and attach it with the case study.
How to Make Infographic
Infographics are really easy to make if you have all the necessary information on the topic. You can find many PSD files on the internet that will give you templates to make your Infographic. Besides these, there is “Canva”, software that can be used to make different types of Infographic. It’s very simple to use, all you need to do is open a free account and use their templates for free. Well, there are some paid templates that are locked.
You can also unlock them by buying those templates. This is what Canva looks like –
When you’re posting any audio/video/image, you can’t just post it without any context of what it is. Some written contents need to be accompanied by those forms of contents. These words will describe what exactly is there in those contents. These words accompany those embedded media contents. Here are the steps in a nutshell –
- Introduction of the product/service
- What to expect in the media content
- Embed/upload/attach your media contents
- Transcript or summarize the entire content in short